Office Specialist - Public Works (Part-Time)
Performs a variety of complex and diverse clerical and administrative functions to support the Public Works department. Activities typically require strong customer service and organizational skills, attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy. Work involves considerable public contact. Receives specialized training and possible certifications to fulfill support duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides first response to public inquiries. Assists the public with public works related
- information including customer service requests, permit applications, utility requests, and other similar coordination.
- Provides general administrative office support and reception, including answering telephones, typing and processing correspondence, greeting customers, making appointments, and assisting with staff reports, research and other office related projects.
- Develops, maintains, and monitors office information/ filing systems in database, spreadsheet, and word processing formats. Typical tasks include:
- Cycle count inventory
- Public works small & attractive fixed assets database
- Small works and consultant Rosters
- Light department databases ( transformers, vaults, conduits, meters)
- Utility requests, and obstruction and excavation permits.
- Creates, initiates and maintains a variety of forms, applications, requisitions and other document materials such as letters, contracts, reports, statements and memoranda including materials of a confidential nature, as required.
- Schedules appointments and meetings, and assists with the calendars for the Public Works Director and the Assistant Public Works Director; update leave calendars for all Public Works staff including reviewing requests for compliance with departmental policy regarding staffing levels.
- Assists the Public Works Director in preparing written and oral communications and presentations to the City Council.
- Proofreads and edits reports, records and other documents and raw data for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established standards; compiles information and assists in preparation of financial, statistical, technical and/ or narrative reports as assigned.
- Provides oversight of maintenance and repair needs for office equipment; orders office supplies and office equipment as needed.
- Reviews monthly timesheets for accuracy and completeness prior to submittal to the Finance Department.
- Attends various meetings, types Public Works agendas and/ or minutes, and distributes as appropriate.
- Prioritizes duties and assignments to assure efficient and effective workflow and compliance with applicable deadlines.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs other activities as assigned by the public works director.
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or GED. Post secondary education preferred.
- Minimum of two ( 2) years experience or more in a high-profile office environment. Local government experience preferred.
- Equivalent combination of post- secondary education and experience that provide incumbent with the necessary qualifications may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possession of strong organizational skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines while working on multiple projects at any given time.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to calculate numbers including decimals and percentages.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with professionals, public officials, other employees, and the general public. Must be adaptable to performing under stress and when confronted with persons acting under stress.
- Ability to communicate effectively, including orally and in writing, in clear, concise language appropriate for the purpose and parties addressed. Use tact, discretion and courtesy to gain the cooperation of, and establish and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, vendors, co- workers, other departments, and diverse members ofthe public. Effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, staff members, public officials, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing requiring attention to detail, good writing and proofreading skills. Work independently or cooperatively as a team member.
- Ability to operate business office machines including computers and peripherals, copiers, facsimiles, calculators, etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Access. Proficiency in taking accurate notes.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn proprietary software applications, including Laserfiche.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, staff members, public officials, and the general public.
- Must have a valid Washington driver' s license and appropriate insurance at the time of hire for work-related travel and operation of city vehicle. Driving record free of any significant moving violations.
- Pass appropriate background checks.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is primarily performed in office setting with limited travel to other City facilities, meetings and training. Work typically involves the proficient use of computer, software and other office equipment. Work also involves considerable contact with the public and staff of other city departments. Position requires ability to move throughout the office and between locations and hand manipulative skills for word processing and writing. Must be able to hear verbal conversations over the phone and in-person with background noise. Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine print on various forms. Requires the ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Paid time off includes:
• Prorated sick leave (dependent on hours worked)
• Prorated vacation leave (dependent on hours worked)
• Prorated holiday leave (dependent on hours worked)
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for the position.
Click here to fill out the application
The first review deadline is 4:30 pm on Friday, August 26, 2022; open until filled.
The City of Blaine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.