CITY OF BLAINE
435 Martin Street, Suite 4000
Blaine, WA 98230
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
Monday, February 11, 2019
Bonnie Onyon - Mayor
Steve Lawrenson – Mayor Pro Tem
STUDY SESSION: 4:30 PM – Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee (BTAC) Interviews
5:00 PM – Proposed Business and Occupation (B&O) Tax
CALL TO ORDER
Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance **Please turn off all cell phones and other electronics that may interfere with the sound system**
COUNCILMEMBERS: Jaime Arnett, Eric Davidson, Charlie Hawkins, Steve Lawrenson, Bonnie Onyon, Alicia Rule, and Mary Lou Steward.
PRESENTATION – BLAINE HIGH SCHOOL – CAIN CREEK
LUMMI CANOE TRIP PRESENTATION
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT
North Whatcom Fire Update – Chief Hollander
1. Email dated January 29, 2019, from Cindy Scott, regarding a save the date for Whatcom Dispute Resolution Center ribbon cutting.
2. Email dated January 29, 2019, from Dennis Olason, regarding his concerns over the City Council appointment process.
3. Email dated February 1, 2019, from Chris Gagnon, regarding Washington’s new ABLE Program for individuals with disabilities.
4. Email dated February 1, 2019, from Anna Loveng, regarding some of her concerns with the City.
5. Email dated February 6, 2019, from Dennis Olason, regarding his concerns over the City Council appointment process.
6. Email dated February 6, 2019, from Betsy Pernotto, regarding a short video on the Lummi canoe journey.
Items listed below will be enacted by one motion. If separate discussion is desired on an item, that item may be removed from the Consent Agenda and placed on the Regular Agenda at the request of a Councilmember.
1. Voucher Memo:
Approval of Bills: $182,979.53
, Wire Register: $359,381.14
2. Approval of Payroll: $629,217.43
3. Approval of January 28, 2019, City Council Minutes
4. Approval of February 4, 2019, Special City Council Minutes
5. Chuckanut Bay Foods License Agreement
PUBLIC HEARING - PLEASE NOTE: Persons speaking on any issue will be allowed five (5) minutes. Additional non-repetitive testimony will be allowed after all testimonies have been heard.
Proposed Business and Occupation (B&O) Tax
COUNCIL ACTION ITEMS
1. Bid Award for H Street Sidewalk Improvements, I-5 to 6th Street
2. Resolution 1744-18, replacing Resolution 1380-04, and providing exemptions for street obstruction permit fees.
3. Yorkston Oil Company, Inc. Access and Parking License Agreement
COMMISSION, COMMITTEE AND BOARD REPORTS
Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee – Steve Lawrenson
Blaine Chamber of Commerce – Steve Lawrenson
Boys and Girls Club – Alicia Rule
Port of Bellingham – Alicia Rule
Drayton Harbor Shellfish Advisory Committee – Charlie Hawkins
Port of Bellingham Marine Advisory Committee – Charlie Hawkins
Library Committee – Mary Lou Steward
Senior Center Liaison – Mary Lou Steward
WTA Board – Eric Davidson
Small Cities Partnership – Michael Jones and Bonnie Onyon
Community Development Services
Unless noted, all meetings are held at City Hall, 435 Martin Street, Suite 4000, and are open to the public. Agendas can be found on the City’s website.
Thursday, February 14
9 am – Park and Cemetery Board
Thursday, February 14
10 am – Public Works Advisory Committee
Location: PW 1200 Yew Ave.
Thursday, February 14
7 pm – Planning Commission meeting
Monday, February 18
City Offices will be closed in observance of Presidents Day
Tuesday, February 19
8 am – Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee
Monday, February 25
6pm – Regular City Council Meeting
Public Hearing: Proposed Business and Occupation Tax (B&O Tax)
Thursday, February 28
5 pm – Planning Commission Work Session – Woodberry-Planned Unit Development & Preliminary Plat
7 pm – Planning Commission Meeting
Public Meeting – Woodberry – Planned Unit Development & Preliminary Plat
Public Hearing – Verizon Bel Drayton - Shoreline Variance, Shoreline Substantial and Conditional Use
COUNCIL NEW BUSINESS
Following the council meeting, the council will convene in closed session to discuss collective bargaining pursuant to RCW 42.30.140(4)(b).
Americans with Disability Act (ADA) Requirement: The meeting location is accessible. If you require a special accommodation during your attendance at any public meeting, please contact the City Clerk’s Office (360) 332-8311, 24 hours prior to the meeting date you will be attending. Thank you.