November 23, 2020
CITY OF BLAINE
City Council Meeting
Monday, November 23, 2020
CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
Monday, November 23, 2020
Bonnie Onyon – Mayor
Mary Lou Steward – Mayor Pro Tem
Due to Governor Inslee’s proclamation in response to COVID-19, this City Council meeting will be conducted entirely through Zoom Meetings; a teleconference application. The public will be able to participate in the public hearing and listen live to the meeting. Instructions for how to participate in the public hearing can be found in the meeting details at the end of the agenda (after “Adjourn”). If you do not want to give testimony during the public hearing, please email your testimony to CityCouncil@cityofblaine.com. All City Council meeting recordings are on the City’s website.
For members of the public who want to listen/watch the meeting, click on the link below:
Follow the instructions given by Zoom. The Meeting ID and Password are below:
Meeting ID: 893 1406 4129
A. STUDY SESSION: 5:00 PM – Board, Commission, and Committee interviews
a. Planning Commission – Steve Hrutfiord
b. Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee – Micah Mullen
c. Planning Commission – Jerry Marczynski
B. CALL TO ORDER
Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance – Led by Mayor Onyon
COUNCILMEMBERS: Garth Baldwin, Eric Davidson, Charlie Hawkins, Richard May, Bonnie Onyon, Alicia Rule, and Mary Lou Steward.
C. WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS
D. CONSENT AGENDA
Items listed below will be enacted by one motion. If separate discussion is desired on an item, that item may be removed from the Consent Agenda and placed on the Regular Agenda at the request of a Councilmember.
1. Voucher Memo:
Approval of Bills: $1,072,986.28
2. Approval of November 9, 2020, City Council Minutes.
3. Approval of November 19, 2020, Special City Council Minutes.
4. Resolution 1832-20, Setting the schedule for regular Blaine City Council Meetings for 2021.
5. Authorizing the City Manager to Enter Into a Collective Bargaining Agreement with Blaine City Light Crew.
6. Authorize the City Manager to sign a Revision of Certain Binding Site Plan Conditions and Restrictive Covenants Document.
7. Approve Resolution 1834-20, Waiving the bid requirements and allowing a sole source for supply and installation of a variable frequency drive for City well #5.1.
8. Resolution No. 1835-20, Waiving the bid requirements and allowing a sole source for supply and installation of a screening and compacting wash press at the Lighthouse Point Water Reclamation Facility.
9. Authorize the City Manager to Administer Non-Conforming Use Extension Timelines Pursuant to Emergency Order Number 20-04 (EO20-04).
E. PUBLIC HEARING
**Please Note** Persons speaking on any issue will be allowed five (5) minutes. Additional, non-repetitive testimony will be allowed after all testimonies have been heard. Testimony can also be sent to CityCouncil@cityofblaine.com.
1. 2021 Budget (continuation from the November 9, 2020, public hearing)
F. COUNCIL ACTION ITEMS
1. Approving Resolution 1836-20, Adopting the City of Blaine 2021 Legislative Agenda. (Jones)
2. Consideration of a Purchase and Sale Agreement Addendum with Nimbus LLC for the sale of 665 Peace Portal Drive to Extend the Feasibility Period. (Jones)
3. Appointment to the Planning Commission. (Crawford)
4. Appointment to the Blaine Tourism Advisory Committee for the lodging industry position.
G. COMMISSION, COMMITTEE AND BOARD REPORTS
1. Whatcom County Task Force – Michael Jones
2. Other Council Reports
H. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
1. City Manager – Michael Jones
a. Public Works Director transition
2. Public Works – Bob Hammond
a. East Blaine charge in lieu of assessment
3. Finance – Jeff Lazenby
a. Year to Date Finance report
Due to COVID-19 and the Governor’s Proclamation, meetings are now only open to the public telephonically. Information on how to listen to the meeting live will be on the City Council agenda which is located on the City’s website homepage under Your Government, City Council, City Council Agenda. Please check the agenda prior to each meeting as the call in number or location may change.
Thursday, November 26 and Friday, November 27
City Offices Closed – Thanksgiving
Thursday, November 26
6pm – Planning Commission Meeting *CANCELLED*
Thursday, December 10
9am – Park and Cemetery Board
Thursday, December 10
6pm – Planning Commission Meeting
Monday, December 14
6:00pm – City Council Meeting
All City offices are currently closed to the public. Contact information for staff and Councilmembers can be found on the City’s website.
J. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
K. COUNCIL NEW BUSINESS
L. EXECUTIVE SESSION: – approximately 6:30 PM – to discuss performance of a public employee pursuant to RCW 42.30.110(1)(g), and collective bargaining pursuant to RCW 42.30.140(4)(b).
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirement: The meeting location is accessible. If you require a special accommodation during your attendance at any public meeting, please contact the City Clerk’s Office (360) 332-8311 at least 72 hours prior to the meeting date you will be attending. Thank you.
Are you interested in learning more about the City’s budget? Here is a link to an informative video on the budget process: https://youtu.be/FDxDiNZYb8A.
Information on how to view or listen to this City Council Meeting live is below.
For information on how to join a Zoom meeting via web browser, please read our advice here:
How to Use Zoom Meeting
Follow the instructions below to join the meeting by desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone:
1. Click the link to join the meeting:
***Please make note of the meeting ID and password prior to clicking the link to join the meeting. You may need to enter them when you enter the meeting.***
2. Meeting ID: 893 1406 4129
3. Passcode: 0435
Follow the instructions below if you want to give testimony during the public hearing. Please note that only testimony on the public hearing topic will be placed into the record.
4. When the Chair opens the Public Hearing, please “raise your hand” (via the “raise hand” option in Zoom) and you will be placed in a queue. When it is your time to speak, the Zoom moderator will call on you and provide you five minutes to make your comments (if you're not planning on providing public comment, no action is required once you join the meeting).
For information on how to use the Raise Hand function in Zoom, please read our advice here:
Zoom Tips on Raising Your Hand
Use your phone to dial into the meeting for higher audio quality (you will still need to use your web browser to follow along with the presentation). Call one of the numbers below and follow the instructions:
• +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
• 888 475 4499 US Toll-free
• 833 548 0276 US Toll-free
• 833 548 0282 US Toll-free
• 877 853 5257 US Toll-free
• Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kr3zGsOlP
1. Meeting ID: 893 1406 4129
2. Passcode: 0435
3. Once you enter the meeting dial *9 to raise your hand and be placed in the queue.
All callers will be placed on mute until called upon to speak if there is a public hearing. Otherwise callers will be placed on mute for the entirety of the meeting.
Should you need assistance during the meeting, please call 360-746-5206.